We all need to pay more attention to whether we recycle all our plastic bottles and other recyclable materials. Most streets do not have recycling containers on them. When you buy a bottle of water as you are leaving the gym, soda with lunch or even just a drink because you are thirsty if there is not a recycling container around you take it with you. It is not just limited to plastic and aluminum recycling, there are even fewer newspaper recycling containers on the street.
Do not just limit this practice to the occasional bottle of water but all the plastic and glass bottles and other recyclable items (like the newspaper you read at Starbucks on Sunday) you get while you are out and about. This is definately not the most ideal thing to do. Carry around your garbage! There are more places putting recycling containers but right now they are not everywhere.
Here are some facts as to why you should do this from Recycling Revolution:
- Americans use 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour! Most of them are thrown away!
- A modern glass bottle would take 4000 years or more to decompose — and even longer if it’s in the landfill.
- The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle can run a 100-watt light bulb for four hours. It also causes 20% less air pollution and 50% less water pollution than when a new bottle is made from raw materials.
- A typical family consumes 182 gallons of soda, 29 gallons of juice, 104 gallons of milk, and 26 gallons of bottled water a year. That’s a lot of containers — make sure they’re recycled!
- A used aluminum can is recycled and back on the grocery shelf as a new can, in as little as 60 days. That’s closed loop recycling at its finest!
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours — or the equivalent of a half a gallon of gasoline.
- An aluminum can that is thrown away will still be a can 500 years from now!
- We use over 80,000,000,000 aluminum soda cans every year.
- There is no limit to the amount of times an aluminum can be recycled.
- If all our newspaper was recycled, we could save about 250,000,000 trees each year!
If you are in the mall look in the food court area. Some towns will have recycling on the street near restaurants that serve sodas in cans and bottles. If all else fails and you cannot find a place to put it bring it home with you and put it in your home recycling bin. Remember it is good for the environment so even though it is more of an inconvenience it is worth it!