What? Yes actually since 1972 the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has used this day, June 5th, as way to encourage political action and attention to the environment. So basically it is the world’s Earth Day.
Lets face it, Twitter tells me everyday is “World WHATEVER Day” but really when it comes to the environment we just do not pay attention most of the year so why not have a second day of the year were we can organize a neighborhood clean-up, stop using plastic bags and get your community to do the same, plant a tree or better yet organize a collective tree planting effort, walk to work, start a recycling drive… something?
Stars have been trying to help get the word out like Gisele Bundchen (Brady?), Don Cheddle, and this years ambassador Ian Somerhalder (you know the guy from Lost and that vampire show). I have to hand it to the UN, they are using really popular good looking people to get your attention.
Are you celebrating today? Or did you just find out here it was World Environment Day? Either way what will you do today to help the environment.
Here is what I am going to do:
- No plastic today (No starbucks cup or straw, no disposable anything today)
- Bringing my lunch in reusable glass containers
- Take a shorter shower
- Remember my refillable water bottle today (I keep forgetting it the last two weeks)
- Plant a tree (seriously, I have one I got two weeks ago that I need to plant)
- Download and read another environmental book (not sure which one yet)