Every year I interview my niece about what she knows and what she care about the environment. This is her thoughts this year on the environment. Read my first interview with her here.
- What do you learn about the environment in school? Nothing, they do not really teach us anything. They do not really care about the environment. They tell us not to use electricity if you do have to and they tell to recycle but not how to do it us how to do it. at home? Nothing really. I mean I recycle, I mean I do not really learn anything… except from you.
- Do you recycle at school? Yes, paper, plastic, and cans they are all in the same container and they actually sort it somewhere else. The recycling bins this year are larger than the garbage cans at home? Yes, at my Mom’s house
- What do you think you could do to save more water? Take shorter showers, not leave the water running for no reason
- Do you think you could use less electricity? Yes How? I could unplug my phone charger because it is using electricity when I am not using it, Shut of TV and lights when I am not in the room, use less air conditioning or heat
- Would you ever drive a small car? No, because I was told by people that if I get into an accident I am more likely to be injured or killed. I would rather be safe than save energy
- Which do you like better hot or cold weather? In the middle Why? I just like it in the middle
- What else do you do to save the environment? I try really hard to turn off the lights when I am not using them and turn off the tv when possible. I am not sure I do anything else.
- What animal do you think needs our help the most? I really think bees need our help. well also there is this kind of ape that there are only like 5 left Why? Bees are really an important part of our life. They make honey and how they make honey is really important for us to live
- Do you think you need to do more to save the environment? No because I am kid I think I can do stuff but I cannot do that much What do think should happen? If I looked it up on the internet and found ways then I would but right now I do not know how I can really make a difference
- Tell me as many things as you can that you use everyday made of plastic? Cups, bags, water bottle (disposable and reusable), toothbrush hairbrush, toothpaste container, shampoo, conditioner, shoes, clothing, wii remotes, phone, phone case, milk container (daily for my milk at lunch), nail polish, pens, softball and soccer gear, back pack, scissors, tv, alarm clock, night stand, stereo, hangers, Fatheads in my room, clocks, certain jewelry, makeup container, pencil box, markers, computer, and hairbands.
- Are you surprised how many things you listed? Yes How can you use less? buy stuff that I can reuse… refill my plastic container with stuff.
If you want to post what your kids say to these questions email me at firstname.lastname@example.org (please note no names will be used)