I have found some amazing upcycling ideas online. Check out my Pinterest board for some inspiration.
There are so many ways to show Mom that you love her that are also environmentally friendly. I separated them into categories to make it easy to see what kind of things your Mom might like.
For the Mom who loves to Garden:
- Get a recycled bottle watering can.
- Buy fall bulbs for planting (Spring Hill Nursery) with gloves and other garden tools.
- Purchase lily’s in your mother’s favorite color they will grow back every year and make a great addition to the yard… every year she will be reminded how much you love her.
- Get a planter and fill it with strawberry plants so she can put it on her deck and enjoy strawberries through out the year. Throw in some chocolate for her to melt and make chocolate covered strawberries or add a bottle of champagne (they go together so well).
- Fill a planter up with your Mom’s favorite herbs so she will have fresh ingredients on hand.
For the Mom who loves to Cook:
- Guide to how to shop at a Farmers Market, with a list of local farmers markets, and a canvas bag to take with her.
- Meatless cookbook, Mom does not need to be a vegetarian to enjoy some recipes that do not use meat (Moosewood Inn has some fantastic vegetarian cookbooks).
- Bamboo cooking utensils and cutting board (since bamboo is renewable).
For the Mom who loves Clothes:
- A spa gift certificate and a bamboo or organic cotton robe so she can feel like she is at the spa even after she leaves.
- Organic cotton clothing or Bamboo clothing.
For a Mom who loves to Pamper Herself:
- Buy her a basket of products from the Body Shop they use fair trade ingredients, never test on animals, and have been at the forefront of corporate responsibility.
- Aveda organic products including their soy candles.
- Give to Mom’s favorite environmental charity
- Think of things your Mom really loves, maybe she talks about a thing she had when she was kid that she loved but does not have anymore, look for it at antique shops, Etsy, and Ebay (that is recycling too).
- Buy a picture frame from recycled materials and put a picture of you, your siblings, her grandkids…etc. in it for her.
Remember be creative and really think about what your Mom would like. For all she does for you and your family she will appreciate the thoughtfulness.
So if you have not checked out Pinterest you really should it is so fun and while you can basically spend hours on it, if you had discipline it is still fun if you only have 5 mins. Their iphone/ipad app could use some debugging but it is still awesome.
You can find me there as Green4u
Here is a link to some great upcycling ideas